HOW TOXIC IS YOUR EVERYDAY SANITIZING/DISINFECTING ROUTINE?



3 min read Remember when the former President of the United States recommended injecting disinfectants to deep clean the lungs? Since then urgent warnings were issued by doctors and manufacturers confirming that everyday cleaning products with disinfectants pose lethal dan


gers. ​ Many manufacturers of these lethal disinfectants confirmed that their products are "not for human consumption in any way". The manufacturer of Lysol, Dettol and Vanish also issued this urgent statement: ​ "We must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route)."

Well, how about constantly breathing them in? ​ "These products have corrosive properties that melt or destroy the lining of our innards," McGill University thoracic surgeon Dr. Jonathan Spicer told the BBC. ​ That doesn't sound promising. ​ We can't help but wonder if disinfectants are lethal, it can't be good that we are constantly inhaling them in poorly ventilated spaces. Many of the ingredients in disinfectants could have unintended side effects on the people you’re trying to protect because directions are not read properly, chemical disinfectants are used liberally. They are commonly mixed with other cleaning products and used in poorly ventilated spaces. ​ Here are some research-based evidence:

  • Quaternary ammonium chloride (or QUATS) found in most disinfectants are known to trigger asthma in people who suffer from the illness.

  • Triclosan is an antimicrobial chemical present in disinfectants and cleaners. It has been associated with a decrease in thyroid hormones. Studies also link the use of Triclosan to child obesity.

  • A study spanning over 30 years by Harvard University found that using bleach just once a week could increase the risk of developing chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases (COPD) by 30%.

  • The American Lung Association warns that ammonia, bleach, and VOCs in cleaning products can irritate the eyes, throat, and lungs and may lead to chronic respiratory problems, allergic reaction, headaches, and even cancer.

  • Multiple studies have reported that women cleaning at home or as professional cleaners show accelerated declines in lung function and a higher risk of long-term respiratory and cardiovascular health.

​ Not only that, some people have been unwittingly poisoning themselves while trying to sanitize their homes. At the end of April 2020, the Center for Disease Control released a study showing that calls to U.S. poison centers about cleaning and disinfectant exposures went up by 20 percent. The cases included a preschooler who ingested hand sanitizer and a woman who mixed up a solution of water, bleach, and vinegar to sanitize her groceries (mixing bleach with an acid like vinegar produces chlorine gas, which can be deadly at high levels). It seems we have been paying to disinfect our homes with our health and that of the planet's. Perhaps it's time to ditch the harmful chemicals and opt for 100% food-grade, toxic-free disinfecting. ​ At C2+, we have formulated our products without harsh chemicals. We derived our ingredients using food waste that are safe for humans and the planet. Our products are formulated without bleach, ammonia, chlorine, VOCs, phosphates, parabens, petroleum, SLS, triclosan, artificial dyes or synthetic fragrances. Make the switch with us.


MAKE THE SWITCH